Kombucha is a great drink to maintain a good supply of healthy bacteria in your gut. It’s also easy to make at home. You just need a Scoby to get started which you can get from a friend that makes kombucha, or you can order one online. (See below for where I got my Scoby.) Local friends! If you want to make your own kombucha let me know and I’ll give you a Scoby! One is created each time a batch is made.
Kombucha works like yogurt, keifer and kim-chi. These provide pro-biotics that keep your gut happy and healthy and allow you to absorb nutrients from the food you eat.
It’s just like making sweet tea!
- Boil 12 cups of water with 1 cup of sugar for 5 min.
- Turn off the heat and add 5 teabags of your favorite tea, let it sit for 15 min or longer for a stronger tea taste.
- Let the tea sit until it is room temperature.
- Put your Scoby that comes with 1 cup of kombucha in a container. Glass is preferred for long term use, but a plastic pitcher can also be used in a pinch.
- Cover the container with a cloth and rubber band to keep anything from getting into your tea.
- Let sit for 7-9 days. The sweet tea will have a little tangy taste.
- Put in the refrigerator to cool and enjoy sipping a cup of Kombucha to start your day.
See the website below for more details, flavors and recipes. Also see for ideas on what to do with extra Scobys.
Recipe and Scoby from Cultured Food for Life: https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/the-trilogy/kombucha/what-is-kombucha/